Saturday, August 28, 2010

Kwentong Kaladkarin # 02: Domo-holic Day!

Da Where: Domo Coffee Express at BF Resort Village, Las Piñas
Da When: June 19-20,2010
Da Who: me, Gineau, Madz and Ivy
Da Trivia: This is the coffee date we've planned for 3 years now. At last it pushed through! :)
Da Word/s for the Day: traffic!!!!!, McDonald's sa tapat ng St. Luke's, si Jay (hahaha!)

It was a coffee date three-years-in-the making and no amount of rain, wind or bad traffic could stop us from meeting up with Ivy and finally visiting their family-owned coffee shop in Las Piñas.


Saturday night, June 19th, found the three of us (Madz, Gino and I) battling our way through the heavy downpour to Fort Bonifacio where Ivy will pick us up. After some mishaps in finding the right McDonald's as our meeting place (how would I know there are numerous McDonald's that are near St. Luke's inside the Fort, for Pete's sake?!); Ivy finally found us and we're safely cocooned in her car going to Las Piñas. The traffic that met us at Coastal Road was a nightmare but I'm in good company, so it wasn't half bad.

The rain was still going at it when we got to BF Resort Village but the warm coffee smells that welcomed us as we walked into the homey, little store melted the stress away. According to Ivy, they wanted an Oriental theme for the coffee shop and brainstormed for a name to go with it. The name Domo was coined. Domo in Japanese is the informal way of saying thank you or hello. And like from the term itself, the place felt just that – cozy and comfortable. The store’s catchphrase is “Experience life within…” I think it’s attainable when you’re in Domo. :)




 We started placing our orders while Ivy ordered pizza from Yellow Cab to supplement the coffee and pasta! :)



Gino had an iced White Choco Mocha while Madz, as always, opted for the hot Caramel Macchiato. Not in the mood for caffeine myself, I opted for a smoothie and had the Strawberry Vanilla. Their drinks come in 3 sizes - Petito, Choko and Sumo. I usually have this bad habit of not being able to finish my drink so I decided to get my smoothie in Petito. Bad move. The smoothie was exquisitely good – velvety and a perfect balance of sweet and tangy – that I finished my drink in a matter of minutes. It kinda left me wanting for more. haha!
 As recommended by Ivy, we tried the lasagna too. It tasted like gold in my mouth, or maybe I was just hungry. :)



Next came the desserts! Slices of New York cheesecake and chocolate cake were met with smiles. I especially enjoyed the cheesecake; it melted in my mouth with each bite. We enjoyed our drinks and cakes ‘til the store closed, all the while playing sungka with Gino.

Heavenly New York cheesecake

Melt in your mouth chocolate cake

Strawberry Vanilla smoothie


Saturdays are supposed to be Acoustic Nights at Domo but because of the weather, the performers had to cancel. The store also has free Wi-Fi access for patrons who'd like to be connected while getting their caffeine fix.


The night ended with us sleeping over at Ivy's place. Special thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Sison for graciously accommodating us. :)


Breakfast the next day was another Domo affair. Not used to waking up early on a Sunday, I opted for an iced Caramel Macchiato to jolt my senses awake. In all honesty, I liked their macchiato better than the usual one I have in Starbucks. I could taste the caramel in my drink but it didn't lose the coffee and steamed milk hints I was looking for. Needless to say, my Petito sized drink was still not enough. :) Too bad I didn't get to sample the pasta carbonara but I'm pretty sure it would have tasted good too coz Madz finished her plate clean. haha!


I bought some cookies and chocolate crinkles as pasalubong for my sisters and my niece. Needless to say, it didn't even last a day when I got home. They also have mugs and spill-proof containers for sale if you'd like some souvenirs.


Chocolate crinkles and cookies for pasalubong


Overall verdict: five stars! Great coffee, good food, laidback ambience and affordable prices. If you ever find yourself in Las Piñas, do drop by at Domo. They're located at Unit 1&2, Village Center, BF Resort Drive, BF Resort Village.


I hope the next text message I'd get would be from Ivy, inviting us back there and enjoy the coffee and food again. I would certainly brave through rain, bad traffic and getting lost at McDonald’s for a piece of cheesecake and some iced caramel macchiato at Domo. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment